Furniture Care Provider
- The Industry: Household Goods
- Our Tools: Ethnographic Video In-Home & IDI's
Our client’s brand had just dealt with a challenging year due to heavy competitive activity, pantry loading and corporate cannibalization. To make matters worse, slow product use-up and lower medial spending levels had contributed to a significant decline in sales.
- To understand how attitudes and dusting/furniture care behaviors differ between heavy/light users.
- To identify why heavy users choose the product more frequently than light users.
- To understand what, if anything, are obstacles limiting usage of the product.
Our Customized Approach
Our team conducted a series of in-home video ethnographies, where participants recorded themselves and their cleaning behaviors over several weeks. Then, we met with each participant to review their behavior and gain a better understanding of their attitudes toward our client’s product.
Through our approach, we identified that:
- Brand equity appeared to be limiting how/when the product was being used
- Heavy users applied the product on a variety of surfaces and typically cared about the quality of the clean
- Light users cared more about the speed of the clean
- Brand advertising needed to be modified to communicate the alternative uses for the product
- A new messaging strategy was needed for the light users to increase product usage
This in-home research study led to several breakthrough insights for the brand, significantly impacting the brand’s messaging strategy and ultimately improving business results.
To speak with someone now, please call 847.853.1500 or click here to request a free consultation.